Sunday, October 5, 2008

Whale Watching

Wednesday, September 24th was a national holiday for South Africa called Heritage Day. My friend, Brenda, and I decided to take a day trip to Hermanus. Hermanus is considered the best land-based whale-watching destination in the world. And it just so happened that the day we visited Hermanus was the opening day of their Whale Festival. How super cool!

We spent the day touring the town, visiting the shops and activity tents, and of course “ooohing” and “aaawwwing” at the spectacular whale sightings. The peak viewing season is October and November as whales come into shore to calve. I can’t explain how beautiful it was to see these humongous yet graceful creatures jump out of the water and return with a huge splash. I tried my best to capture it on film, but my photos just don’t do the experience justice.

(I’ve also seen whales along the coast as I drive to my project site in Red Hill. God is so good to grace us with such a stunning show.)


No comments: