Monday, August 18, 2008

DC4K

I just got home from my first Divorce Care for Kids class (DC4K). I'm on such an emotional high right now. I feel like the Lord hand selected me for this particular class, with these specifics children, at this exact time. God is good, God is good!

DC4K is a divorce recovery support group for children ages 5-12 years. I will be leading the group with three other volunteers. We will be working with 8+ children every Monday evening for 2 hours. The course runs for 13 weeks.

Two of the other volunteers are school teachers who have participated in past work such as this. I expect to learn loads from them in regards to childrens' ministry.

I'm also super duper excited about the children. I just love them! They are all so uniquely amazing. I can't believe how well I connected with them tonight. It was almost as though I've known them for years. Maybe it's because I have gone through a similar life experience so I can relate. Or maybe it's because the evening was God orchestrated. Either way, I look forward to spending more time with them in the weeks ahead.

Oddly enough, as I study the material to present to the children I find myself learning so much about my own life. Divorce in my family has caused much pain and separation. Through this course I believe God will start to reveal my own brokenness and bring further restoration to my own life and my family.

Funny how I signed up to help kids, but in return the Lord is doing a number on me! Tricky lil' bugger, isn't He?!?! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tricky, indeed! Still praying for you. Thanks for sharing this part of your story!

Anonymous said...

so great to read your story and feel the energy and excitement from tonight! Awesome sis!

Anonymous said...

He is tricky. I remember the day this group was talked about in church and the looks we exchanged. I knew in my heart God would use you for this group. It is so awesome to see how God is using you and teaching you about your identity in HIM. I love you girl and am so proud of you.