Monday, August 25, 2008

Becky's Book Club

I recently finished reading the book One Thing, by Dwayne Roberts. One Thing is about the pursuit of God; living with a fascinated heart that leads to passion for Jesus. I would like to share a passage that really stuck out to me.

Were you able to love me?

Once I was standing before the Lord in prayer, I saw a person from China, a person from Africa, and me.. the bald guy. Jesus looked at the individual from China and said, "In all My sovereign wisdom, My decision was for you to be born and raised in China. With all of the problems, persecution, and discomfort, were you able to love Me?

Then Jesus looked over at the one from Africa and said, "In all My sovereign wisdom, I chose for you to be born in the midst of Africa. It is AIDS-stricken, poor, torn by violence, and oppressed. In the midst of those circumstances, were you able to love Me?

Finally, He turned to look at me. "Dwayne, in all My sovereign wisdom, I chose for you to be born in one of the most affluent societies on the globe - the height of pleasure, entertainment, wealth, and worldly pursuit. In the midst of all those pursuits, were you able to love Me?


Roberts, Dwayne. One Thing. Revelant Books, 2005.


This passage tells me that there are different kinds of obstacles that get in the way of our pursuit of Jesus Christ. The roadblocks are different but the question remains the same, “were you able to love Me?”

In many parts of the world, poverty, disease, and persecution hinder an individual’s relationship with the Lord. (At other times, this may actually drive the pursuit of Christ). However, for me and other Americans, our trials come in the form of material possessions, pleasures, and worldly pursuits. If we have everything we want and need, why bother turning our face to Jesus? What some may refer to as “blessings” (financial security, multitude of possessions, vast opportunities, self sufficiency) may be the very thing that keeps us from an authentic and meaningful relationship with our Creator.

So in reality, when it comes to our spiritual life, we are no better off than someone who lives in a poverty-stricken society filled with disease and corruption; we just face trials of different kinds.

Are you able to love Him?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing commentary Becky! I get so fired up seeing how God is working in you! WOW!!!!!

Anonymous said...

And you think you don't have the gift of writing?! Wow Becky! Your writings continue to inspire me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

How powerful. Are you turning into a preacher-sister? Keep us posted! I'm still praying for you and what God is doing in your heart.

My small group is studying Revelations in depth. We are digging through the prophesies, and we are learning very quickly about how we are dealing with God's provision now and what that means for how we distribute what He has given us.'

Well said. Keep on sharing, sistah!