Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Role

A typical work day for me begins at 7:30 am and ends around 4:30 pm.

In the mornings, I work at the Living Hope health care center. This is a 22 bed facility that provides in-patient care, respite care and counseling to individuals infected with HIV/AIDS as well as other chronic diseases. I have the opportunity to visit and minister with the patients in the clinic. However, my primary responsibility is to work with the internal staff. During my five month stay here, I will be focused on boosting the morale of the health care team. I am quite excited for this task and hope to use my past experiences at Inetium to support my efforts. That’s right, I’m talking about a Raving Fans Committee here – Africa style!! :)

In the near future I will also be working with Living Way, the job creation program. This ministry empowers local individuals (many of whom are past patients from the health care center or attendees of the support groups) to financially sustain themselves and their families. A sewing program has resulted from this ministry. Last week I attended a launch event for a new line of hand bags. Ten people graduated from the sewing training program and received microloans in order to “jump start” their new business. This is a very exciting time for the people involved in the program as it may be their first time earning a source of income. My involvement will be in sales and marketing. I will be partnering with a Living Way member and together we will promote awareness and sales opportunities of the bags. Again, I look forward to using my past work experience and applying it to this ministry. I’m also excited to see how the Lord will use me in this position as I trust and lean on Him.

In the afternoons, I participate in a children’s club located in a township called Red Hill. There are nine branches of children’s clubs in Living Hope. Four days a week, children come to the clubs to participate in a Bible and craft lesson, play games, sings songs, partake in an environmental activity, and receive a nutritious meal. This is a chance for a child to have a positive role model and to learn more about the love of Jesus Christ. I will be assisting Stanton, the life skills educator who runs the Red Hill club. There are approximately 60 or so kids in our club. The need for this program is so great. I pray that the Lord equips us to minister to these children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raving Fans - Africa Style - I love it! If anyone can do this, it's you! I'm praying for you and Amanda, and Stella and Dylan are doing the same!

God bless1

Anonymous said...

Rock On Becky! Now that's such a cool way to make a difference. Wow! Just think that Raven Fans will most certainly stick with them and help them to grow as well as stay positive in their journey through God's eyes. So cool! I'm so proud of you! Love You!
Trav

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us the details of your work. I am happy that you are doing so many interesting and important things in the name of Jesus.

Keep blogging, sistah!

Unknown said...

VERY COOL!!!!!! I'M SO JEALOUS!!