Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Visiting Malcolm

Since arriving in June, I've spent a lot of time at Living Hope's health care center (what used to be called a "hospice"). I enjoy helping the staff members with their daily tasks, and visiting with the patients. One patient, named Malcolm, holds a special place in my heart. He has spent several months in the center with an amputated leg. He has had three surgeries. Each operation claims more of his limb as he is brought back to Living Hope to recover.

I've had the privilege of spending several hours getting to know Malcolm. As we shared life stories (his time in the war, living on the streets, the latest books that he's read, etc.) we developed a close friendship. About a month ago, however, Malcolm was released from the health care center and brought to a homeless shelter. It was an emotional day for me when Malcolm left because I was not around to say "good-bye". I tried to make it back to the center in time to give my friend a hug, but we had just missed each other. I cried on the phone as I told Malcolm that I would miss him and that I would try to visit him soon.

Luckily I was able to pay Malcolm a visit this past weekend. Without a way of getting ahold of him, I found directions to where he was staying and just showed up. He was so surprised! I vividly remember the expression on his face. What a wonderful image to imprint in my memory bank. He gladly exclaimed that I was his first visitor... ever!

That was probably the last time that I will see Malcolm. I pray that the Lord protects him and that he finds purpose in each day of his life. I pray for healing and restoration to come into his heart and that he finds peace with the Lord.

Although Malcolm doesn't have a relationship with the Lord, yet. I hold on to the truth that God doesn't wish for any to perish but for all to have His saving grace. I'm delighted that I had the opportunity to show Malcolm a piece of God's love. Even if it was by a simple visit.

How can you share God's love today? Who in your sphere of influence is in need of your attention? your kind words? your prayers?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring Becky! God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Malcolm is a lucky man!

Anonymous said...

Becky, you are so beatiful inside & out! I'm in tears reading this entry! Love you oodles n oodles! -jenny

Anonymous said...

Amen, sistah!